Sunday 5 February 2012

It snow fun unless you make the most of it

By the time we had returned from London yesterday, the forecasted snow had arrived with a vengeance and was beginning to settle. After an hour of being home it had reached a good depth of 75mm when setting off into a driving blizzard for a late evening bevvy at the local. By the end of the night it was a good 100 to 125mm deep. It certainly made you realise just how much harsher it would have been for Scott and his comrades a hundred years ago. The severity of the snow had set the stage for the following days activities.

After a well deserved lay in, despite having a 100 and 1 better things I could and maybe should have been doing, I was instead lured to join friends at the local nature reserve for our own version of the winter Olympics. When we have a decent snowfall, this is where all the local families from the town come to sledge down the steep hills into the bottom of the quarry, typically using all manor of things to sit on or in. Items ranged from 'House For Sale' signboards, to large rubber dinghies and anything in between.

It was a great morning out and a hell of a lot of fun was being had by all the locals including our little clique, with our carry mats and plastic bags being used to sledge down the hill. After a while yours truly conjured up the stupid idea that with the armoured casing around my smart phone, it would be fairly safe to take a video of what it was like going down the hill. On my first attempt, after encouraging a hefty push to get me going, I only managed to get half way down before coming off the mat in a fit of giggles!

 
Another couple of more successful attempts failed to record anything as I'd accidently turned the camera off on the way down. Finally I managed to get some footage. The expletive is a result of getting stuck half way. Again the run finishes with lots of giggles.


After a while, our sledging got more daring as people took turns at going down head first. This I declined, but did participate in the next series of stunts, that of doubling up with someone else.

At the same time our technical prowess with cameras diversified and on my final run, we had the cursory on board camera as well as someone videoing from another camera at the top of the hill.

On this run, between the bouts of giggling, there are yet more expletives as we managed to get further than anyone else, heading straight toward a clump of small trees. The first video is taken from the top and the second from the on board camera!




Of course it was not all childish behaviour as I did take time out with the camera for a few winter shots.




3 comments:

  1. This did look like a lot of fun. Your fit of giggles got me laughing, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie - Many thanks for your kind words - yes it was bags of fun if rather silly, but .... I'm glad it also made you giggle that makes me feel happy if I've made someone else happy. Blogs are a bit short at present because my computer died and I'm in the process of getting a replacement. I've used my work computer for this reply. I have some blogs in waiting which I could write now but without the pictures it wouldn't be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that explains why you haven't added your smart responses to Graeme's posts. No worries. Blog whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete