Friday 27 April 2012

Another bus

As with earlier in the month I managed to see two gigs in a week, well the month ended very much on a similar musical note. Having recovered from Wednesdays trip to see Oli Brown, I was now of with Del to see some Spanish band or other called Amaral?

Derek had mentioned seeing them on the TV in Spain and was so impressed brought a number of their CD's. Other than they are the biggest band in Spain, only sing in Spanish and they're music genre is a pop, folk and rock fusion I knew nothing else of them.

The gig was at the HMV Forum, Kentish Town, and so we headed off from work to catch the train into London where we would decide on what to have for our evening sustenance. We had plenty of time as the doors of the venue were not due to open until 21:00.

On a sudden whim we decided randomly to head to Euston and visit the Ravi Shanka in Drummond Street. We'd not been there for sometime, and while it is a fairly basic place we've never been disappointed although it does get somewhat mixed reviews. Given its simplistic nature, I guess I've never expected anything different? I always find it amazing that while the portions never look huge, I have never managed to finish a meal off in the past. This time was an exception, I had a tasty daal soup followed by a uthappam and managed, just, to plough my way through. We then headed around the corner to a new ale house venue we'd been told of. It is called the Euston Tap and is one of a pair of old buildings marking the entrance to Euston Station. Its matching building across the other side of the street is a cider house. I plumped for one of the porter beers they had on offer at 6.6% proof. A very nice and tasty beer it was indeed.In hindsight, given I was quite full from the meal, it was not such a bright idea to partake of something you almost had to eat! As we finished our drink to head for the underground and the three stops up the Northern Line to Kentish Town I was beginning to wish Greenpeace would come and tow me back out to sea. On arrival at Kentish Town, we headed around the corner to the Oxford, where I decided a slightly lighter ale would be a safer bet for my bloated stomach.  

We eventually headed the half mile up the road to the venue and began queueing outside waiting for the doors to open. It seemed very surreal that many of the pubs nearer the venue were barely full. Any other gig one attends there, the pubs are usually spilling out into the street. Its just a whole different culture. The doors eventually opened and the place began to fill slowly - very slowly in fact. This again is very unlike many previous gigs I've been to there, you could even get to the bar for a drink and be heard by the bar maids!

The support band came on about 21:30 and played for aorund 45 minutes. During the time after that, the place did begin to fill more in anticipation of the headline act who came on at 22:45! Of course we should have know better, when in Spain nothing happens until after 22:00 - this was the making of a potential long night. What a band they are! Very professional and I would say after Joe Bonamassa, probably the second best gig of the year for me. It didn't matter I cannot understand Spanish as virtually all gigs these days you can never hear the lyrics anyway so it makes no odds! As it happens Eve Amaral is a great singer and were I to understand Spanish, I'm sure I would have understood what she was singing. Her partner who plays lead guitar is also very good, nothing fancy, just some standard but good guitar playing.


As time marched on, Del and I realised we'd be getting the last train (01:40) home - if we were lucky! They finished their set to much applause at about 12:30 and then came the encore. By 12:45, thinking they'd finished we nipped to the loo before departing only to see they'd come back on again for more! This was looking seriously like becoming like a night out in Madrid when you don't get home until 09:00.  I did suggest to Del he asked one of the crowd if they knew any good night clubs for after the gig.

Knowing already the underground had closed - this is Britain where everything closes down at midnight - we decided to cut our chord and sing for it. We got to the underground in time to catch a late bus heading for Kings Cross and got there with about 20 minutes to spare before our train left.

Our train was disgusting and had it not been that I've been too busy, I would and perhaps should have emailed a complaint. It was so littered with rubbish one would be forgiven if you'd have thought it had ridden through a landfill site. The toilet at the other end of the carriage must have been blocked judging by the smell wafting down and one of the sets of carriage doors would not open which led to one couple not being able to get off at their stop.

But what a top night entertained by a top band and the suspense of will we miss the last train home and have to wait for the early morning milk train. We managed to get home by about 03:00 - no wonder I couldn't wake up until about 10:00, later that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment